Monday, January 12, 2009

Designer Interview : Magical Hope Boutique

Check out the Peppermint Lane designer interview this week....
Meet Julie of Magical Hope Boutique!
If you're looking for unique,adorable,handmade clothing for your little prince or princess,look no further.At Magical Hope Boutique, you'll find stunning, girly-girl twirl skirts and deco sets to handsome appliqued pant sets.Oh and did I mention appliques??? hehehe!
Julie's warm personalityshows in her work as she is just as sweet as the clothing she creates.
1)Please tell us a little about yourself.... I am Julie. The sole designer behind Magical*Hope*Boutique. I design boys and girls clothing. I have two beautiful children, who are and always will be my inspiration behind everything I design. I am married to a wonderful man that supports my passion 100%.


2)How long have you been designing? I have been designing for a little over a year now. Just recently I was looking back at pictures of some of the first things I designed. How amazing it is that such little time has granted me the skills and ability to create so much more than I ever expected.


3)What is your earliest crafting/sewing memory? I didnt sew as a child. I am basically self taught. But to give you an idea of how I got into the sewing/designing craft, I started out wanting to be an Interior Designer when I was younger. I would dream about about designing different rooms in my parents house. Then after the birth of my daughter I decided to become a Cosmetologist. I put myself through school and began designing, but in a totally different way. But I like to think that creating an amazing hairstyle and color from an image in my head..is almost the same as creating an amazing outfit. Its all about passion, creativity, and putting the pieces together like a puzzle. So I believe even though sewing wasn't my first craft, I always had the designing and the art behind it in me the whole time.


4)What inspires or influences you as a designer? My children mainly. But I would also say that fabrics play a big role in my ideas. I love shopping for fabrics with no idea in mind..and finding that amazing fabric that I just have to have..and creating a design around that fabric. I also think other designers have inspired me. Seeing all the different styles, have helped me to realize what my design style is.


5)What is your favorite item to create?Why? My favorite thing to do is Appliques. I love creating boys outfits. I have a passion for telling a story in my designs. With Appliques, its like bringing the outfit to life.


6)What piece are you mose proudest of that you've created? My favorite peice is my Frosty the Snowman Boys Design. Many reasons for that. One is that it was my first complete outfit made completely from fabrics..nothing premade. It was also my first BIG Sale.
7)What are your favorite materials/fabrics to work with? I love working with knits. They are so comfortable and work well for both boys and girls.



8)Are there any words of wisdom or tips you’d like to pass along to others about designing for profit? Stick with your gut. I have heard so many tips on how to price my designs, how to sell them, and how to make a profit off of them. I have been told to price low cause I was new, I was told to price high cause certain buyers dont look at low starting auctions. Believe in your work. Price them at the price you want for them. Dont be willing to sell them cheaper than you deserve. Stick with your guns and be patient. It will pay off in the end.

9)What is your favorite thing to do when not sewing/designing? Spending time with my kids and my husband. Watching my favorite TV Shows and talking to my friends online. Even if im not sewing I seem to be stuck on the computer most of the time LOL.

Thank you for having me as the Featured Designer. I have met so many wonderful designers as well as Model Mom/Buyers from Peppermint Lane. This group is amazing and filled with so much talent on so many levels.




2 comments:

Posh Piggy Couture said...

Congrats Julie! Great Interview!

Tracy said...

Hi,

This is Tracy with Fabric.com. For mentioning Fabric.com on your blog, I have a special gift for you and your readers.

At your convenience, please call me at 1-888-455-2940 ext. 214 or you may email me at tracy@fabric.com.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tracy Jackson
Affiliate/Donation Coordinator